Thursday, May 3, 2012

Proverbs 25:25 is once again my favorite verse...

This email is from the day AFTER we picked up Edilu.  I read through this today, and a flood of emotions came back.  It was the hardest time of the trip for sure.  If you are interested I think this is day 4 of the trip...I have a few more I will post:)

Monday, April 2nd, 2012

Honestly don't think last night could have gone much better than it did...and as I type with one hand I am knocking on wood with the other. Angela had microwaved Campbell's soup for dinner and I had a Zone bar, and Edilu refuses to eat anything but formula from a bottle. So for right now, that's primarily what we give him. He fell asleep on Angela, and she laid him down in his bed right next to ours at about 8:15 or so. Note: this is an entirely new experience for us; for those of you who know how Mae was at the baby stage, she did not ONCE fall asleep on us. She fell asleep in her crib, with the fan on, windows covered, swaddled, after being held and shushed, and once the planets had all aligned...and even then she only fell asleep when she really wanted to. So to have a baby, or even a toddler, fall asleep while being held by us is a completely foreign concept.

At any rate, he slept soundly, and we fell asleep soon thereafter (being completely exhausted in all ways). He woke up at about 2:30 or so, and didn't want to have much to do with me (which we expected-he's used to being surrounded by nannies). Angela held him and consoled him, and we even laid down with him for a while, but eventually she put him back in his crib-and he was having none of that! So she worked for about an hour, maybe a little longer, at laying him down gently but firmly, and rubbing his back as he cried, and he would get up and lunge at her to pick him up, over and over and over...but in true Angela fashion, she was confident and firm with him while also being nurturing and loving, and her hard work paid off as he slipped back into sleep. Needless to say, as I watched helplessly, I could not be more proud of her. She is a fantastic mom, and I don't have to embellish that to say it truthfully.

He slept until 7:00 or so, and woke fairly happy. I was quite amazed that we all were able to get some really good sleep last night-I was expecting to feel exhausted and frustrated by morning. And he even reached for me and cried, so I guess I'm winning him over:) We ate breakfast for the first time ever together, and he wanted nothing but formula. For now, that's a battle we are willing to let him win, because it's most important that he gets calories in him. Plus, he's strong and can push a spoon away from his face with authority! We'll deal with that issue in time. We were taken to the US Embassy, where we waited for about 10 minutes or so before being called to one of the many booths. A very friendly girl from the good ol' US of A greeted us, and in less than 5 minutes we were cleared! We now have a visa for our son, so we won't have to sneak him home in our luggage now.

We did a little shopping, then met two other families who had just arrived. One family is picking up their son as well (from Ohio) and the other family was meeting their baby for the first time. We went to lunch as a group, but this time we took a child with us...and wouldn't you know it, we got him to eat a few french fries! Success! Even if it's deep-fried starchy potato, it wasn't formula:) While at the restaurant, my ears were treated to a little taste of home: ZZ Top, Stone Temple Pilots and Beyonce. I must really miss home, because I even enjoyed a little Destiny's Child...

Edilu fell asleep in the carrier Angela was wearing, another good sign that he is increasingly more comfortable with us. We rode with the other two families to the transitional home, and I video'ed the family from N. Carolina as they met their 6-month-old son for the first time. Our driver then took Ang, Edilu and I back to the guest house, where we tackled the issue of a nap head-on. Man, does that boy know what he wants! He really fought us on the nap, and once again, it took about an hour to force him to lay down, and eventually he dozed off. While he was fighting Angela on sleeping, I came down and read a few emails from a few of you, and my soul just swelled. I didn't realize how emotional this trip is until reading a few emails from home-I was really overcome with emotion, and as I shared with Angela what I read, she was as well. I really appreciated Proverbs 25:25, "Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a faraway land." I paraphrased that, but being so far away and so out of our element, with a new child who does not know us, receiving emails from home truly means the world to us. 


We are going to eat dinner here at the guest house tonight, and I hope tonight goes well (as far as sleeping is concerned). But if it doesn't, we will persevere, and just keep our eyes on God as he guides us through this crazy experience.

 On our way to the US Embassy
Bonding with Daddy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment